Managing by exception is a style of management that emphasises escalation of only significant issues to leaders in an organisation.
It is often seen as a way to free up a leader’s capacity, because they are only involved when there is a challenge to be overcome or a significant decision to be made.
I’m naturally skeptical about “silver bullet” leadership approaches, so in this episode, I take a look at this style of leading, along with the benefits and potential pitfalls, so you can see how this might suit your situation.
Like the Show? Please Leave a Review! ✅
If you like this episode or the show in general, please take a few minutes to leave a review by clicking one of the links below.
Your review really helps me to reach a wider audience of thoughtful leaders, so we can improve workplaces around the world. I appreciate you taking the time! 🙏
Apply For Your Complimentary Coaching Session
I invite you to a complimentary Discovery Coaching Session, where we will:
- Get clear on your most important goals and what is most important to you
- Identify blockers and limiting beliefs that are holding you back; and
- Develop key actions you can take to move forward and make progress.
You will leave the Discovery Coaching Session with a sense of clarity, purpose and practical steps to move you forward.
There is no obligation to pursue further coaching after this session - but many people do!
- Article: Managing By Exception: How Does It Impact Our People?
- Podcast: Thoughtful Leader Podcast #48: The Perils of Passive Leadership.
- Article: 4 Signs That a Productivity Problem Might Be Hurting Your Leadership.
- Article: How to Get Comfortable Without Controlling Leadership.
- Article: McKinsey Study on Employee Satisfaction. (Note: I incorrectly referenced this as a Harvard Business Review study in the episode)